Chapter 1 in Rules for Writers by Diana Hacker is about coming up with ideas and planning your writing. You want to assess your writing by looking at the subject, sources of information, purpose and audience, length and document design, and reviewers and deadlines. For your subject you want to view your sources of information, and if necessary narrow down your speech. Your purpose has to do with understanding your assignment, the purpose, how to answer questions. You should also know what kind of an audience your writing for. Your length and document design may be developed for you to follow by someone else. Most writers have reviewers who give you feedback, and deadlines are critical in planning your time frame.
You should be creative in exploring ideas for your subject. Great ways to generate ideas are to talk and listen, take notes and annotate, list, cluster, freewrite, writing in a journal, and asking a journalist questions. Next, you want to form and test a tentative thesis. Finally, plan it all out by writing out your outline. I will use annotating in almost all of my school work because a lot of the time I read first, and then write about it. I will also use clustering because that is how I get the best ideas relating to eachother. I will focus more on my audience when I'm writing, which is usually the teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment