What is the meaning of the title?
The meaning of the title has to do with the desire for independence and freedom. Toshio and Kiyoshi have to spend a pretty big chunk of their lives giving back to their families by working for them like slaves and handing over their hard earned money. They do not have any control over their lives and more importantly their bodies. It must be incredibly hard to not have control over something as personal as your own body. Toshio questions his actions unlike his father who worked for Toshio's gradfather for 12 years without one word of complaint. Toshio's mother sees him as weak because he had only been working for 3 months and had already been complaining. Toshio is smart to question the collectivist japanese ways and think for himself by wanting to go to school and learn.
Doing what everyone else is doing because it's tradition is like not having a voice or a mind. They are all like robots doing what others tell them to do without thinking for themselves. It's important to live your life your own way because then you will always stay true to yourself. You can make mistakes and learn from them and build character along the way. When someone doesn't have control over even their own body then who is that person? You will never know the true person that lies somewhere inside that body, only the person that they've been made to be. Toshio and Kiyoshi strived for independence and freedom from their traditional japanese family to gain knowledge of who they are and fulfill their own desires. The title of this book is very significant and it makes me feel really grateful that I had the opportunity to go to school and learn, and I have the freedom to make my own decisions.
Hi Brittany,
ReplyDeleteNot until I read your post did I have another view on the meaning of the title. I also agree with your perspectives as well. It is sad that because of tradition one cant think or make decisions about their own life and not supposed to be able to complain about it. I just like you believe that these two brothers really strived for independence and freedom from the cultural, traditional ways of the Japanese. Thanks for the read.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteYou have a refreshing look at the title of the book and tie the meanings together nicely in your analyzation of the book. You bring up important facts about the tradition of japanese families, and have a nice comparison to american thinking. I agree with your thoughts of the two brother trying to break away from the plantation and make their own lives.
Hi Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI think you made an excellent point, "staying true to yourself." That is what I would alway want for my children. You did a great job on your write. It definitely made me think more of the title. "When we mistakes we learn from those mistakes." This was great. Thanks. Barb
I like your post! I also agree that the title has to do with freedom. I agree that it has to be hard not having any control over your body and someone else controlling who you are and what you do. Good job!
ReplyDelete