Thursday, November 18, 2010

All I Asking For Is My Body

 Makot is a rich boy who lives in a filipino camp, but is actually Japanese.  He plays with younger kids and kids his age always make fun of him. Makot's parents apparently are not the best people.  They are very rich, and don't have the best manners. They were different. Kiyoshi described how different they were, and Makot's mother laughed at him because he was being polite. It was as if she had never heard anyone say thank you before.

I do feel sorry for Makot because it is obvious that his parents are not modeling the best behavior.  It's hard especially as a child to fit in when your parents do not model appropriate social behavior.  I think Makot uses his money to buy the little kids friendship and he wins control over them. He copes with his feelings by bossing little kids around and rewarding them with prizes instead of an actual friendship, which might be what his parents did to him. Makots parents might be replacing love with money.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany,

    I agree with your point, "It's hard especially as a child to fit in when your parents do not model appropriate social behavior." The fact that Makot's mother laughs when Kiyoshi is being polite suggests that she is not, nor does she expect to be, treated in this manner. The notion of children having to confront parental expectations and models in order to make their own decisions and determine their own identity will be a theme in this text. What do you think about the way Makot's parents replace love with money?

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brittany,

    When I was reading the part of the story when Makots mother laughted when Kiyoshi was thanking her, the first thing that came to mind is wow she rude. Then when Makot came out and showed her no respect I relized thats why she acted like she did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is wrong and very sad, they probably have no idea that they aren't giving him the love he needs or that he's really unhappy. Perhaps they are thinking they just want to keep him happy so that he doesn't bother them for anything. Children with really successful parents tend to be more of individuals they get used to relying on the selves and might be really successful too, but that would absolutely explain the social issues Makot has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I really like your point of veiw on the reading. I agree competely. The way that parents show a young child to interact with other people tends to be the way the child interacts aswell.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I as well feel for Makot. I agree with your statements about how he has no guidance and appropriate modeling behavior. His parents are never home and when they are home, I'm sure he's constantly reminded about what it is his mom does for work. Especially when men are hanging out around there house. Makot doesn't have a sense of morals or belonging because the only attention given to him by his parents are material things or money and that interns translates to his social relationships with his peers.

    ReplyDelete