Thursday, October 28, 2010

Smoke Signals-Victor and Thomas

The relationship between Victor and Thomas reminds me of two brothers. Victor is obviously the older brother, he is mean to Thomas sometimes and gets annoyed of him. He tries to teach him things such as how a real indian should look like.  Thomas seems to look up to Victor and he wants to help him. They grew up together in the same neighborhood so they have known each other their whole lives like brothers.  Thomas is very thankful to Arnold- Victor's father for saving his life from the fire.  This is where they disagree because Victor doesn't like how his father is an alcoholic, and violent, and eventually leaves them. 


Inside, although Victor doesn't act like it, he really does care for Thomas like a brother.  I think he might have trust issues and that could be due to his father's disappearance, he shuts down emotionally. Victor tries to act like he doesn't like Thomas, but he appreciates all of his help and the journey brought them even closer.  In the end Victor gets a better understanding of how Thomas, and Arnold feels about the traumatic event that happened when they were babies.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany,

    I like your point about Victor and Thomas being like brothers; they certainly have a love-hate relationship that some siblings have. Thomas seems to regard Arnold, Victor's dad, as a father-figure; perhaps this is the reason he wants to accompany Victor to Arizona. Thomas holds Arnold in higher esteem than Victor does, though and this is probably because Thomas didn't witness much of Arnold's drunken tirades.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany,
    Thomas and Victor are very much like brothers. I also got the feeling that even though Victor acted like he didn't like Thomas he really did care deeply about him. But they didn't become true friends until the end of the movie when Victor had a better understanding of his fathers actions.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Good job on tying the story line together and further explaining the relationships within the story especially with comparing them as brothers, this is exactly what they are two brothers at oods with I one another, but in the end find that there connection is to great to be broken. Also we don't see the story come full circle until the end when all questions have been laid to rest. Over all a like d your response to the movie and feel that you had a great understanding of the themes and conflicts.

    Thanks, Cody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brittany,
    I liked your comparison of them being brothers. They really did act like that sometimes. Victor was mean to Thomas and I think Thomas looked up to Victor, very much like an older brother regardless of how mean Victor was. It shows how much Thomas cared about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    I like how you compare the two as brothers, I also thought that they seemed to treat each other like siblings. I also think that Thomas thought more of Victors father than he did, because he (maybe) never saw just how much of a drunk he was?
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the comparison as brothers. They sure do act like it!

    ReplyDelete